The Wisconsin Academy creates opportunities for people to connect, learn, and collaborate to improve life in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Academy showcases contemporary Wisconsin art at the James Watrous Gallery, examines science and culture in Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine, and explores pathways to a sustainable future through its Climate and Energy Initiative. The Academy Courses and public talks provide opportunities to learn and explore, while making connections with curious and creative people across Wisconsin. The Academy recognizes excellence through the annual Fiction & Poetry Awards and Fellows Awards for leadership in and across disciplines. We also support the Wisconsin Poet Laureate and many other endeavors that help the Academy create a better world by connecting Wisconsin people and ideas.
To create a better world by connecting Wisconsin people and ideas.
A brighter future inspired by Wisconsin ideas.
Our Guiding Values
- Critical thinking
- Civil discourse
Diversity Equity & Inclusion
At the Academy, we believe this better, brighter future will:
- Always strive to be more equitable and just while critically examining history and exclusionary systems,
- Value and protect cultural resources and the natural world,
- Embrace diverse cultures and voices by actively bringing marginalized voices to the table for dialogue and deliberation,
- Celebrate diversity by making participation in the sciences, arts, and letters more inviting and inclusive,
- Encourage lifelong learning within and outside of traditional education systems.
Download the Wisconsin Academy Diversity Equity and Inclusion Vision Statement
Wisconsin Academy Land Acknowledgement
The Madison office of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters occupies ancestral Ho-Chunk Land, a place their Nation knows as Teejop (day-JOPE), which translates to Four Lakes. We recognize and respect the sovereignty of the Ho-Chunk Nation, as well as the 11 other First Nations who are caretakers and stewards of the place we now call Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters is a member of the National Association of Academies of Science and American Association for the Advancement of Science.