CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
The Wisconsin Academy seeks a Program Assistant for its Climate & Energy Initiative to help in our work in addressing Wisconsin's role in global climate change and exploring diverse, sustainable energy choices for our state. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, proactive, independent problem-solver with experience in event planning and project support who has an interest in learning from a broad network of environmental leaders and a drive to contribute toward climate solutions for Wisconsin. This individual is an integral member of our team, working closely with the Initiatives Program Director. This Wisconsin Academy staff position is based at our office at 1922 University Ave, Madison, WI; although Academy staff are currently primarily working from home (due to COVID-19). This position is 50 to 75% FTE, non-exempt, grant-funded position through June 2021, with potential for extension.
General Duties: Support the Initiatives Program Director in event planning and execution; communication with the Leadership Network of the Climate & Energy (C&E) Initiative, planning committees, and event participants; and outreach strategies related to the C&E Initiative. Major events include: strategy meetings on climate-critical lands, a business leadership roundtable on climate change, an environmental breakfast series, and regular planning meetings supporting these activities. Interest and experience in sustainability, climate and/or energy topics is beneficial but not required.
Reports to: Initiatives Program Director
Responsibilities - specific tasks for this position include but are not limited to:
Event planning and execution:
- Assist with recruitment and ongoing communication with diverse speakers
- Coordinate with event venues regarding contracts, AV services, Zoom (or similar) virtual technology, catering, parking, and other accommodations
- Manage event registration and corresponding contact databases
- Manage day-of-event logistics and maintain composure while taking action in the face of unexpected complications
- Assist with print and digital event marketing, sponsor and participant contact, and follow-up communications.
Communication with C&E leadership networks, planning committees, and event participants:
- Organize meetings with planning committees, take notes, and correspond with participants on next steps
- Assist with scheduling, planning, and execution of regular meetings of the leadership networks and any subcommittees
- Maintain records and current contact information for the leadership networks, event participants and partners, media contacts, and others interacting with the Climate & Energy Initiative
- Support translation of conference and strategy meeting findings into summary reports and other communications formats
- Coordinate briefings and other public presentations on conference and strategy meeting findings and recommendations
- Help plan and post web content and social media related to Initiative activities as directed
Compensation: $15.00 - $17.00/hour depending on experience and qualifications. The Wisconsin Academy provides health insurance and other benefits on a pro-rated basis.
Application instructions: Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before September 13, 2020, for best consideration. Phone calls are not encouraged.
About the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters
The Wisconsin Academy is a nonprofit organization (EIN: 39-1054856) where people can connect with experts and each other. Our mission is to create a better world by connecting Wisconsin people and ideas. Learn more at www.wisconsinacademy.org.
The Wisconsin Academy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Wisconsin People & Ideas, the Wisconsin Academy’s quarterly magazine of contemporary Wisconsin thought and culture, seeks a part-time (18 hrs/wk) editorial intern for Winter/Spring 2021.
Since 1954, the Wisconsin Academy has published a magazine for people who are curious about our world and proud of Wisconsin idesa. Wisconsin People & Ideas features thoughtful stories about our people and culture, original creative writing and artwork, and informative articles about Wisconsin innovation.
Applicants for the 16-week intern position with the magazine should have the following:
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Digital experience with web publishing and/or social media.
- Knowledge of basic office operations (e.g. photocopying, mailing, etc.)
Experience with college newspaper, journal, or arts/culture publication preferred.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Participation in planning, developing, and editing articles for Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine
- Fact/quote checking and researching/locating images
- Writing and editing ancillary copy as assigned.
- Assisting in design and production tasks.
- Basic text and image file administration, including e-mail correspondence
Intern applications are due January 5, 2021, with an anticipated start date of January 19, 2021. The internship concludes May 7, 2021. The intern receives a $500 honorarium upon completion of their three-month term and additional per-article payments are available to superior writers. Candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé with three references, and at least one writing sample via e-mail to Jason A. Smith, editor, Wisconsin People & Ideas.