CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
The Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters has an opening for an Executive and Program Assistant who will provide support for our Executive Director and Climate & Energy initiative, and assist with Academy outreach and communications. We’re looking for someone who has great attention to detail, web and social media communications skills, and the ability to pitch in on diverse assignments across our team.
The staff position is based at our offices at 1922 University Ave, in Madison, WI. This is a 50% - 80% position depending on income from pending grant proposals. The position will have occasional weekend and evening events assignments.
Position: Executive & Program Assistant
Reports to: The Executive Director
- Executive Support. Ongoing support for the executive director, including scheduling, planning and hosting meetings, maintaining records, and coordinating board activities and other needs as assigned.
- Program Support. Support the Environmental Initiatives Coordinator in meeting and conference planning, contact management, web site content and design, and outreach strategies.
- Outreach and Communications. Work with the Communications Director to maintain and update quality content and access on the Academy Website, expand social media activity, and support outreach around Academy events.
Examples of assignments
- Prepare background packets for quarterly board meetings
- Coordinate the executive director’s calendar and set up meetings with multiple participants using “Doodle polls”
- Help plan and coordinate logistics for conferences, from participant registration to audio/visual services
- Data entry for event and project contacts
- Help plan and post web content and social media around Academy events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Excellent writing/editing skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to navigate multiple assignments
- Strong attention to detail
- Web basics
- Good time management skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Passionate about our mission
- “Radar” — the ability to learn and anticipate needs
- Experience with Drupal or other open source web platforms
- Experience in nonprofit or academic organizations
- Knowledge of climate change, energy or environmental issues in Wisconsin
- Tech savvy for conference presentations, data management, and troubleshooting
- Administrative experience
The salary range for this position will be $13-15/hour depending on qualifications and skills. The Academy provides health insurance and other benefits on a pro-rated basis for employees who are at the 50% FTE level or above.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before June 8, 2017 for best consideration. Phone calls are not encouraged.
It is the policy of the Wisconsin Academy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
The Wisconsin Academy is a lifelong learning organization created by and for the people of Wisconsin. We bring people together at the intersection of the sciences, arts, and letters to inspire discovery, illuminate creative work, and foster civil dialogue on important issues. In this way, the Academy connects Wisconsin people and ideas for a better world.
Wisconsin People & Ideas, the Wisconsin Academy’s quarterly magazine of contemporary Wisconsin thought and culture, seeks a part-time (20 hrs/wk) editorial intern for summer 2017.
The only independent magazine exploring contemporary intellectual and artistic life in our state, Wisconsin People & Ideas publishes fiction and poetry from Wisconsin writers, highlights new works from our visual artists and photographers, and covers science and environmental issues that affect Wisconsin’s people, lands, and waters.
Applicants for the four-month intern position should have the following:
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Digital experience with web publishing and/or social media.
- Knowledge of basic office operations (e.g. photocopying, mailing, etc.)
Experience with college newspaper, journal, or arts/culture publication preferred.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Participation in planning, developing, and editing articles for Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine
- Fact/quote checking and researching/locating images
- Writing and editing ancillary copy as assigned.
- Assisting in design and production tasks.
- Basic text and image file administration, including e-mail correspondence
Intern applications are due May 26, 2017, with an anticipated start date of June 12, 2017. The internship concludes the week of August 31, 2017. While this is a volunteer position, interns will receive a small honorarium upon completion of their three-month term. Candidates should submit a cover letter, a writing sample and/or design portfolio, and a résumé with three references via e-mail to Jason A. Smith, editor, Wisconsin People & Ideas.