Communications and Program Manager (100% FTE)
Employment at Wisconsin Academy:
The Wisconsin Academy is a lifelong learning organization created by and for the people of Wisconsin. We bring people together at the intersection of the sciences, arts, and letters to inspire discovery, illuminate creative work, and foster civil dialogue on important issues. Learn more at www.wisconsinacademy.org.
The Wisconsin Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming environment for all employees. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability status, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.
Communications and Program Manager
Step into a key role with responsibilities that will connect people across the state through dynamic programming and engaging communications. This position is an important part of a collaborative team advancing the mission of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters – to improve life by connecting Wisconsin people and ideas.
The Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters seeks a professional Communications and Program Manager who will work to conceive and execute a wide variety of Wisconsin Academy experiences and events such as talks, courses, readings, and interactive experiences. The Manager will maintain awareness of the big picture goals of the Academy, as they collaborate with colleagues and partners on content, manage details, and assess success.
In addition to managing in-person, virtual, and hybrid programs and events, the Manager will lead Academy communications. They will develop and implement integrated communications plans with strategies that utilize public relations, media relations, marketing, and digital communications – including social media.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this position plays a key role ensuring integration across focus areas and in shaping programs for public audiences. This individual will be an integral member of the team, working with program directors and other key staff. The staff position is based at our offices at 1922 University Ave, in Madison, WI. The Academy offers hybrid working arrangements and would consider a remote arrangement. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Develop and project manage communications strategies that raise awareness of the Academy and programs, including:
- Understand current strategic initiatives and key programs so to ensure effective communications and promotion.
- Maintaining the brand (tone and visual identity) and coordinating overall communications efforts.
- Collaboration with program staff to develop strategies and oversee their implementation to increase awareness of and engagement with Academy programs, events, and initiatives.
- In collaboration with others, design and execute communications to engage partner organizations and public audiences.
- Collaborate with development team to achieve fundraising goals and strategies.
- Identify and cultivate media relationships to further awareness of Academy and programs.
- Develop and expand the Academy’s web presence and direct the effective use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) and e-mail marketing (e.g. MailChimp).
- Coordinate design, production, and distribution of promotional materials for events, including collaboration with partner and co-sponsoring organizations.
- Design communications that promote inclusive approaches for diverse audiences that support the Academy’s work in equity, diversity, accessibility, inclusion, and justice.
- Develop analytical measures and metrics on program communications for evaluation purposes.
Program Management (40%)
- Design and execute engaging, enlightening programs that illuminate topics in the arts, letters and sciences.
- Work with colleagues to develop plans and execute logistics for a wide variety of external programs including talks, courses, readings, workshops, receptions, and other events.
- Develop event budgets and monitor expenditures. Ensure compliance with vendor polices.
- Manage contracting and invoicing process for all events in consultation with the operations manager and program directors.
- Provide advice and direction using event planning best practices and marketing strategies.
- Manage selection and use of audio/visual systems, presentation software, registration software, and virtual meeting tools.
- Oversee programs and events to identify and address problems and risks.
- Assess program and event performance, encompassing budget impacts, post-event reports, and staff debriefs with a focus on continuous improvement.
Other Responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in program and strategic planning with the Executive Director and other members of the Academy’s staff team.
- Special projects and additional duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years of professional experience with program, events or communications coordination or management.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, dynamic environments.
- Ability to create experiences that further an organizations mission and brand.
- Effective writing and communication skills.
- Ability to operate independently and manage multiple deadlines
- Experience with relevant software
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Drupal, WordPress or other CMS
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or other social media
- Availability for occasional weekend and evening obligations.
- Experience working for a nonprofit organization
- Experience with social media campaigns/promotions
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse range of individuals across different subject areas
- Graphic design experience and Adobe Creative Suite knowledge
- Experience with Asana, Trello, or other project management software
$20.00-$21.50/hour depending on experience and qualifications
Academy employees are eligible for our health insurance package and other generous benefits including paid holidays and personal time off.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before January 16, 2023, for best consideration. Phone inquiries are not encouraged.