CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS
Wisconsin People & Ideas, the Wisconsin Academy’s quarterly magazine of contemporary Wisconsin thought and culture, seeks a part-time (18 hrs/wk) editorial intern for Fall 2019.
The only independent magazine exploring contemporary intellectual and artistic life in our state, Wisconsin People & Ideas publishes fiction and poetry from Wisconsin writers, highlights new works from our visual artists and photographers, and covers science and environmental issues that affect our communities.
Applicants for the three-month intern position should have the following:
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Digital experience with web publishing and/or social media.
- Knowledge of basic office operations (e.g. photocopying, mailing, etc.)
Experience with college newspaper, journal, or arts/culture publication preferred.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Participation in planning, developing, and editing articles for Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine
- Fact/quote checking and researching/locating images
- Writing and editing ancillary copy as assigned.
- Assisting in design and production tasks.
- Basic text and image file administration, including e-mail correspondence
Intern applications are due August 19, 2019, with an anticipated start date of September 9, 2019. The internship concludes December 4, 2019. The intern receives a $500 honorarium upon completion of their three-month term and additional per-article payments are available to superior writers. Candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé with three references, and at least one writing sample via e-mail to Jason A. Smith, editor, Wisconsin People & Ideas.