Since 1954, the Wisconsin Academy has published a magazine for people who are curious about our world and proud of Wisconsin ideas. Wisconsin People & Ideas features thoughtful stories about our people and culture, original creative writing and artwork, and informative articles about homegrown innovation. The magazine also hosts annual fiction and poetry contests that provide opportunity and encouragement for Wisconsin writers. The magazine is published quarterly (January, April, July, October) by the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters.
As Wisconsin People & Ideas is about Wisconsin thought and culture, we only consider materials with an explicit connection to Wisconsin. If you are a writer or journalist not from Wisconsin, it is most likely that we won't publish your material unless it is deeply connected to our people, lands, or waters.
We publish articles and essays in all areas of the sciences, arts, and letters in Wisconsin, as well as fiction and poetry from new and established Wisconsin writers. To be considered for publication, materials should be geared toward an intelligent, but not necessarily academic, audience. As an independent, nonprofit magazine dedicated to cultivating civility and open discussion, we don't consider polemics, partisan writings, or opinion pieces. We do not publish articles with bullets, lists, or footnotes; please incorporate these into the body of your article. Length of articles can vary tremendously, so it is wise to consult with the editor before submitting a piece. Time of publication is at the discretion of the editor, based on such factors as space and content balance. Published contributors will receive between two and ten complimentary copies of the issue in which the work appears along. Fees for pieces vary widely.
Please send all submissions for consideration in electronic format. For priority consideration, submissions must conform to the following criteria:
- Double-spaced, 12-point font in RTF or Microsoft Word format submitted via e-mail as an attachment only (not in the body of an e-mail).
- Include author name, title of article or submission, and contact information including address, e-mail, and telephone number.
- Include a brief, 3- to 4-sentence author bio describing yourself and your accomplishments along with a photo if possible.
- Attributions for all quoted material or page numbers in the body of the manuscript with a complete "works cited" page at the end. If your material is quoted from a review or advance copy of a book, please note this on your works cited page.
- If possible, include all referenced material; e.g. digital images, transcripts, URLs of material quoted from the Internet, etc. The more information on your sources that you provide to us, the more likely it is that your article will be error free.
- All image submissions must include source citation and/or caption.
Contributors are expected to provide good ideas for artwork to accompany the article and, in some cases, help secure accompanying images. If permission to reproduce illustrations is required, the editor should be notified as soon as possible. In addition to nonfiction, we publish original poetry and short stories by Wisconsin authors. Fiction should be no longer than 5,000 words, and poems should be relatively short (no more than one page each). Please submit several poems at once if possible as we generally publish at least two works by the same poet. Because we are a small organization, please allow six to eight weeks for review of your submission.
Direct submissions, queries, and all other materials to:
Chris Chambers, Interim Editor
Wisconsin People & Ideas
Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters
1922 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Phone: 608.733.6633 ext. 21