Wisconsin People & Ideas is published quarterly (January, April, July, October) for an intelligent, general audience. The magazine features thoughtful stories about the people and culture of Wisconsin, informative articles about homegrown innovation, and original poetry, fiction, and artwork by Wisconsin writers and artists.
We publish articles and essays in all areas of the sciences, arts, and literature, and we only consider work with an explicit connection to Wisconsin. As an independent, nonprofit magazine dedicated to cultivating civility and open discussion, we do not consider polemics, partisan writings, or opinion pieces. All articles are fact-checked.
Payment varies. Contributors receive between two and ten complimentary copies of the issue in which their work appears.
Email manuscripts as attached RTF or Microsoft Word documents.
Include name, mailing address, and phone number in the email.
Format manuscripts according to these guidelines:
- Times New Roman
- 12 point
- 1-inch margins
- numbered pages
- one space after periods
- spell out numbers 1-9
- oxford comma
- no footnotes (include any citations in the text)
- If material is quoted from an advance review copy of a book, please note this on the works cited page.
- If possible, include all referenced material, e.g. digital images, transcripts, URLs of material quoted from the Internet, etc.
- Do not embed photographs or other images in the manuscript; send image files separately, with captions and credits in a separate document.
- We rely on contributors to help provide images to accompany their article. If permission to reproduce illustrations is required, notify us as soon as possible.
- Short fiction submissions should be no more than 5,000 words. Poetry submissions should consist of 3-5 poems, no more than 42 lines each (one poem per page).
Please allow six to eight weeks for review of your submission.
Direct submissions, queries, and all other materials to:
Christopher Chambers, Editor
Wisconsin People & Ideas
Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters
1922 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Phone: 608.733.6633 ext. 21