CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS OF OUR 2017 WRITING CONTESTS!
Winners receive awards of $500 to $100, publication in Wisconsin People & Ideas, and a reading at the Wisconsin Book Festival. First-place winners in both categories also receive a one-week writers’ residency at Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts & Crafts in Mineral Point. The first-place fiction winner's story, as well as poems by the first- through third-place winners, will appear in the forthcoming Summer 2017 issue of Wisconsin People & Ideas (available July 15).
- First Place: “Mudstone,” by Bob Wake – Cambridge
- Second Place: “The Hardest Part,” by Jeff Esterholm – Superior
- First Place: “The Rescue,” by Ann Zindler – Waukesha
Fiction honorable mentions
- “Invisible,” by Louis V Clark III – Omro
- “Lessons,” by Elena Norcross – Appleton
- “Guy AR,” by Nathan D Dotterweich – Appleton
- “Garbage Goat,” by Jon Hakes – Appleton
- “Wished,” by Katie Futrell – New Berlin
- First Place: “The New American Nostalgia,” by Nicholas Gulig – Fort Atkinson
- Second Place: “Salvation Doesn’t Come,” by Hansa Kerman Pistotnik – Madison
- Third Place: “Time Speeding Up,” by Georgia Ressmeyer – Sheboygan
Poetry honorable mentions
- “Old Dish,” by Sylvia Cavanaugh – Cedar Grove
- “At the Abandoned Lumberjack Cemetery,” by Thomas J. Erickson – Whitefish Bay
- “The Suitcase,” by Elisabeth Harrahy – Oconomowoc
- “After You’re Struck By a Semi While Playing the Good Samaritan,” by Shoshauna Shy – Madison
- “When the Great War,” by Dominic Holt – Monona
- “On the Anniversary of Her Son’s Suicide,” by Mary C. Rowin – Middleton
- “My Mother’s Kitchen,” by Kathryn Gahl – Appleton
- “The First Time I Enter a Ladies Restroom with My Daughter,” by Annette Grunseth – Green Bay
- “Daily Reminders,” by Paulette Laufer – Sturgeon Bay
Thanks to our 2017 lead contest judges Alex Bledsoe (fiction) and Melissa Range (poetry), as well as to preliminary contest judges CX Dillhunt and John Lehman. All contest judging is done blindly and the winning submissions are selected on criteria established by individual judges.
Visit our Fiction Contest page and Poetry Contest page for prize details and complete contest rules and submission guidelines. These contests are brought to you by the Wisconsin Academy with support from our contest sponsors below. We thank them for their support!