WE ARE NOW CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS UNTIL MARCH 15!
Entry fee: $15 members, $20 non-members
Entry deadline: March 15, 2019
First-place winners in the Wisconsin People & Ideas Fiction Contest will receive a one-week artist residency at Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts in Mineral Point. Winners will also receive $500 (first place), $250 (second place), and $100 (third place) and read their work at the 2019 Wisconsin Book Festival. First- through third-place winning stories will also be published in print and online issues of Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine. Our 2019 contest judge is Tom Miller, author of The Philosopher’s Flight.
Authors must reside in or attend school in Wisconsin and must be 18 or older. Stories previously published in print are not eligible. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact editor Jason A. Smith.
You may submit more than one entry, but each story must be mailed or uploaded separately with its own cover letter (see Manuscript Requirements below) and entry fee or online confirmation number.
- Each manuscript must be typed, double-spaced, in standard 10- or 12-point type. Each page must include the title of the story as a header. All pages must be numbered with both an individual page number and the total number of pages (e.g., Stormy Night, page 1/15,).
- 2,000 to 5,000 words
- The manuscript itself must be submitted without attribution in order to ensure judging can be done blindly. Do not include your name on the manuscript. The manuscript must be accompanied by a cover letter bearing the following:
- Story title
- Author's name
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Story Word Count
Print or electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Print submissions must include three photocopies of each fiction submission.
- Electronic submissions and cover letter must all be included in a single PDF upload.
- Submissions must be postmarked, delivered, or date stamped by 11:59 pm on March 15, 2019.
- Entries postmarked or delivered after the deadline will not be considered and the entry fee will be retained to cover handling.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript! Print manuscripts will be recycled, not returned.
- Every contestant must be able to provide an electronic version of the story via e-mail if needed.
Entries may be mailed or hand-delivered to
Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters
1922 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Contest winners will be announced in July 2019.
The first-place winner will be published in the fall 2019 issue of Wisconsin People & Ideas; second- and third-place winners will be published in subsequent issues.