WE ARE NOW CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS UNTIL MARCH 15!
Entry fee (up to three poems): $8 members, $10 non-members
Entry deadline: March 15, 2019
First-place winners of the Wisconsin People & Ideas Poetry Contest will receive one-week artist residency at Shake Rag Alley Center for the Arts in Mineral Point. Winners will also receive $500 (first place), $250 (second place), and $100 (third place) and read their work at the 2019 Wisconsin Book Festival. First- through third-place winning stories will also be published in print and online issues of Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine. Our 2019 judge is poet, writer, and artist Dasha Kelly Hamilton.
- Poets must be age 18 or older and reside or attend school in Wisconsin.
- Poems previously published in print are not eligible. All work must be original. Any style or theme is welcome.
- Poets may include up to three (3) poems per contest submission. You may enter more than one submission of up to three (3) poems each, but additional submissions must be accompanied by a separate entry fee and cover letter. (See Manuscript Requirements below.)
- If you have questions about eligibility, please contact editor Jason A. Smith.
- No poem may be longer than one page.
- The poems must be submitted without attribution on the page. Do not include your name or identifying information anywhere on the poem in order to ensure submissions are judged blindly. Poems must be accompanied by a cover letter bearing the following:
- Poem title/s,
- Your name
- Telephone number
- E-mail address.
Print or electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Electronic submissions and cover letter must all be included in a single PDF upload. PDFs preserve the styles, line breaks, and other formatting in your poem.
- Submissions must be post marked, date stamped, or hand-delivered to the Wisconsin Academy by 11:59 pm on March 15, 2019, to be considered.
- Submissions received or postmarked after the deadline will not be considered and the entry fee will be retained to cover handling.
- Keep a copy of your poems! Entries will be recycled, not returned. Do not send an SASE. If you want to save paper, consider an online submission.
Entries may be mailed or hand-delivered to
Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters
1922 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Contest winners will be announced by September 2019
A general contest announcement will be made to the public and on our website and Facebook page. First- through third-place winning poems—along with another selected by editor Jason A. Smith—will appear in the Fall 2019 issue Wisconsin People & Ideas. Honorable mention poems selected by the lead judge will be published in subsequent issues of the magazine.