The Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters announces a statewide Call for Artists to exhibit in the James Watrous Gallery, located in Madison’s Overture Center for the Arts. Wisconsin artists working in all media are encouraged to apply. For the first time, the Academy is also welcoming exhibition proposals from guest curators.
Those selected by the jury will be invited to exhibit or curate within the next several years, with the earliest exhibition opening in late 2023. Most exhibitions will be in the form of paired side-by-side solo shows. Jurors for this year's call will be Portia Cobb, Anwar Floyd-Pruitt, Yvette Pino, and Rae Senarighi.
- Applicants must be Wisconsin residents at the time of application and exhibition, or have a strong demonstrated history of connection to the state.
- Students enrolled in arts degree programs are not eligible. Priority will be given to artists who have been out of school for at least two years.
- Artists who have had a solo show at the Watrous Gallery may apply again ten years after their exhibition.
- Proposals from guest curators must be primarily focused on Wisconsin artists.
The minimum application fee is $5. For those who can afford it, we suggest $25. These fees help support the gallery and keep our programs accessible to all. Information about applicant fees will not be shared with the jury.
TO APPLY: Applications will be managed on AirTable. After completing registration via the orange button below, participants will receive an email with a link to submit application materials.
Application materials must be submitted to AirTable by 5:00pm, March 1, 2023.
Through AirTable, you will enter your name, email, and address. Next, you will be asked to select your artistic medium(s) (select "curator" if you are submitting a curatorial proposal). To complete your application you must provide the following:
- Resume or short bio - PDF only
- Exhibition proposal - 300 words max.
- 8-10 images of recent work or video links - Each file must be under 2 MB. Acceptable formats are .jpgs and .jpegs. File names should follow this format: 01_TitleofWork, 02_TitleofWork, etc.
- Work sample list - PDF only. Name this file "WorkSampleList". Include the following information about each image:
- Number of the work (1-10)
- Title of the work
- Dimensions of the work (H x W x D)
- Year created
- Up to three sentences of contextual narrative if needed.
When you have filled out the required fields, you will click the submit button. If you would like a copy of your responses, check the box at the end of the form to receive an email of your submission.